YES! The convertible is here! Being their 60th year and all, MINI Malaysia has dropped the all-new F57 MINI Convertible and has turned up the rarity factor because only a mere 20 units are available. The price is set at RM279,888 but given that this is a sure classic, don’t hesitate, don’t think twice, don’t ask your wife, just buy it.
We at Hypertune recently has the pleasure of driving the new Cooper S and the Convertible is based on it, minus a roof. Firepower and running gear remains the same. The BMW derived 2.0L turbocharged engine and seven-speed DCT box will send your topless hot hatch to 100kmh in 7.1 seconds.
It will also change your hairdo if you try it with the top down. Fair warning. You don’t need to always have it all down though. The Z-folding mechanism has three stages; Open, Closed or Sunroof.
Since the soft-top is pretty much identical to the hard-top, MINI has equipped the Convertible with parts from the MINI Yours catalog. Let’s point them out.
1. Fabric roof, code-named “MINI Yours Union Jack”. Can be raised or lowered at speeds up to 30kmh and done in just 18 seconds. Said roof also stows away neatly above the boot to maximize boot space.
2. 17-inch Rail Spoke design allow wheels.
3. Illuminated Piano Black interior with 12 colors to choose from.
4. Nappa leather-wrapped steering wheel & Leather Chester Malt Brown upholstery
5. Unique paint job dubbed Caribbean Aqua here, while Chili Red, Solaris Orange, Melting Silver, and Starlight Blue is available.
Of course, the MINI is sold with the usual customer comforts such as a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty but if you purchase it before the 31st of August, you can have it upgraded to a 5-years with 5-year/80,000 free scheduled service. How about that, trendy AND easy to live with. Tough to say no to that.